NEWS

Lassa Fever Claimed Lives Of 170 Nigerians So Far In 2023- NCDC

According to the update, in the 27th week of 2023, the number of new confirmed cases....
By Umukoro Faith

The Nigeria Centre for Disease Control and Prevention (NCDC) has reported a total of 170 deaths due to Lassa Fever from the first to the 27th week of 2023. The case fatality rate (CFR) for this period is 17.2 percent, which is lower than the CFR of 19.6 percent for the same period in 2022. This information is included in the latest update on the Lassa fever outbreak in Nigeria, specifically covering weeks 25 to 27, released by the NCDC on Monday.

According to the update, in the 27th week of 2023, the number of new confirmed cases decreased from 10 in the previous week to six cases. These cases were reported in the states of Ondo, Edo, Ebonyi, and Benue.

Overall, in 2023, Lassa fever has been confirmed in at least one case in 28 states across 108 Local Government Areas.

The NCDC also revealed that 73 percent of all confirmed Lassa fever cases were reported in three states: Ondo, Edo, and Bauchi. The remaining 27 percent of cases were reported in 25 states with confirmed Lassa fever cases. Among the 73 percent confirmed cases, Ondo accounted for 33 percent, Edo for 29 percent, and Bauchi for 11 percent.

The report mentioned that the most affected age group is 21-30 years, with cases ranging from 1 to 93 years, and a median age of 32 years. The male-to-female ratio for confirmed cases is approximately 1:0.9.

The NCDC stated that the number of suspected cases has increased compared to the same period in 2022. However, no new healthcare workers were affected during Week 27.

The NCDC emphasized that the National Lassa fever multi-partner, multi-sectoral Technical Working Group (TWG) is actively coordinating response activities at all levels.

Related posts

Police Academy Begins Admission Into Cadet Degree Programmes

Waffi Tv

Babachir, APC Clash On 2023 Election Winner, Says Obi Won

Waffi Tv

Rename East-West Road, Diri Tells FG

Waffi Tv

Leave a Comment