My daughter was blindfolded, tied like a criminal — distraught mother - Waffi Tv

My daughter was blindfolded, tied like a criminal — distraught mother

Waffi TVJune 6, 2020

By Omonode Best

It was a pitiable sight at the Ogbeide Street off NNPC Depot Fence Road residence residence of the family of 22 year-old female student of

University of Benin, Uwaila Omozuwa, who was raped and murdered last week.. Her mother, in between sobs, narrated the pains the family was going through over the death of Uwaila.

She was reportedly gang-raped and beaten by her assailants who inflicted deep head injuries on her and abandoned for dead. The church security guard was said to have discovered the incident when he went to collect the keys to the church and was told that somebody had earlier come to collect the key and was inside the church.

It was gathered that for the past five years, late Uwaila had been using the hall of the Redeemed Christian Church of God situated at Osa-Amadasun Street, Ohovbe Quarters which she attended as her reading house and the church was about five minutes walk from her residence. On the fateful day, May 27th, she also went to read in the church hall since schools had been shut because of the covid-19 pandemic.

Tragedy however struck when according to her mother she waited for her to return but did not see her daughter and she was getting worried when a church member called her that there was an emergency in their church. She said she was shocked and devastated when she saw the mangled body of her daughter in the hospital.

A visibly distraught Mrs Joy Omozuwa narrated the incident of her second child to Saturday Vanguard: “She is my second child, the most gentle of all my children and was always interested in her book. What happened to my daughter is so painful; I never knew this was how she will die. On that fateful day, May 27th, I left home with her and she went to the church to read. For over five years now, she had been going to the church to read, so, that day she did the same thing. When the schools were shut as a result of COVID 19 pandemic, she had been going there to study because she said she didn’t want to have any carry over in her examination. I waited till in the evening when I normally called her if it was getting late although she didn’t have a fixed time that she would come. Sometimes she came home 5 pm, sometimes 6 pm or 2 pm depending on her mood.

“By 5 pm, I tried to call her but her line was not going through. There was a boy who was also a member of the church staying near the church whom she said sometimes came around and she had told me that I should not panic if I didn’t see her on time but unfortunately, I didn’t have the boy’s number so I was becoming worried. I saw off a member of our church who came to visit me and by the time I returned, I missed three calls from Mrs Osula who is also a member of the church and stayed close to the church. She asked to come to the church quickly and when I got there, I was told that Uwa had been rushed to the hospital.


(27) comments

Leave a comment

Name *
Add a display name
Email *
Your email address will not be published